Google

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Why are Employers SO skeptical about telecommuting?

Before I even read the article, my defense mechanism went right up.
I am a full fledged telecommuter for a company and I have become a
much better employee (not to say I wasn't a good employee before).
Here is the article with my comments after it in quotes.


New study by Business 21 Publishing shows that companies are deeply
skeptical about allowing employees to telecommute. Only 30% encourage
it, while the rest are either opposed or allow it only for employees
they really trust.

My first thought, I can imagine their biggest concern/fear is
that people would be doing things other than their job
and I do agree, there are some types of people who would
take advantage of the
situation, but hey, isn't that what "firing" solves. I say give them a chance to prove themselves, before you totally write the option off. Don't knock it till you try it. For me, I have become even more productive working from home.



(PRWEB) October 27, 2005 -- A new study by Business 21 Publishing shows that companies are deeply skeptical about allowing employees to telecommute. Only 30% encourage it, while the rest are either opposed or allow it only for employees they really trust.

I can respect that "the ones they really trust".

Companies need to start thinking about their telecommuting policies immediately because it’s expected to explode in coming years. Experts say telecommuting will increase 60% by the year 2010. That’s right: the telecommuting workforce is predicted to grow from the current 24 million to 40 million in just five years.

And I think that's absolutely fabulous. Just imagine
the opportunities that people will have, being
able to telecommute for large companies. Resume's
saying, experienced and successful telecommuter will
become the norm. I look forward to teleworking for
companies in the larger cities and still be able
to live out in the country where it's peace and
quiet. The quality of life is half the battle in
having a fabulous and dedicated employee. Don't ya think.

As more and more employees start being offered flexible schedules and telecommuting opportunities by their companies, employers will see more and more existing and prospective employees demanding the same.
And the problem with that would be??
They could always put them on a "temporary employment status" or trial run. Its' sort of like gambling I guess and employers need to get into the new era and new
ways of doing things.
This could have serious implications for both recruiting and retention.
WHY???? This makes NO SENSE to me at all!!

The time is now to determine:

1. How your company feels about telecommuting. In some industries and for certain job functions, letting people work at home is a no-brainer. In other circumstances, it’s not even an option.
True, ie factory work, but hell, we're sending all of our factories overseas anyway and those folks will be needing new jobs or be allowed to maintain good customer service by keeping their more experienced employees on the books. Sadly the laborers are the ones who will lose there. OK, so I tangent lol.
And then there’s a big gray zone in between, where telecommuting either works or doesn’t depending on company values.

2. What your policy toward telecommuting will be. Who will, or won't, be eligible? How will you justify offering it to one employee but not another?

When 120 HR executives were asked, "Should companies encourage telecommuting?" more than 4 in 10 said they didn't see much benefit and would trust only a minority of employees. Nearly a quarter of respondents indicated that telecommuting is a bad idea because it risks making good employees less productive.
Or just the opposite even. When I first started, my boss was
skeptical too, but I need to have an income and can't afford
to be a slacker. She saw that it worked for everyone,
company included, by having me telecommute. I would
hope that these skeptical employers would simply give
people an opportunity to telecommute. What would be
the harm in it? It all goes back to what type of company
we're talking about.


To read the a complete summary of the study’s conclusions, as well as an in-depth article that discusses telecommuting pros and cons, and offers suggestions for how to make it work, go to





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google